Tuesday, March 12, 2013

22 weeks!

There it is, an official baby bump!  I say "official" because I'm at the point where it sticks out all times of the day, not only after a meal or because of the prego push - you know, in the earlier stages of pregnancy when pregos push out their tummies rather than holding them in... I've been doing it since the "awkward fat" stage aka the "I'm pregnant... not fat" stage.  True story.

Now let's talk about workouts.  Yes, I am still working out (for those of you who said I probably wouldn't be after 20 weeks).  Working out while pregnant is just like working out while not pregnant, you either make it a part of your lifestyle or you don't.  It's a choice you make.  You can let pregnancy be an excuse, but I choose to not let it be.  Instead, I've simply changed my workout goals for the duration of my pregnancy.  I'm used to pushing myself and sweating my butt off, but now I take it easier so I don't  risk overheating or overdoing it. I'm not trying to be the fittest prego ever, I just want to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle for myself and create one for my baby boy.  Exercise is always good for you, no matter what.  You just need to be aware of your limitations and adjust your workouts accordingly.  Don't give up! 
 
Here is how I've adjusted my workouts:
  • When I run, my pace has gone from a 7-8 minute mile to about a 10 minute mile
  • I have decreased my mileage (2.5 miles seems to be my max) 
  • I often choose to walk or use an elliptical for cardio instead of running
  • I stay away from heavy weights and stick to using 5 or 8 lb dumbbells
  • I take more breaks
  • I stretch more

 Just listen to your body (especially your belly!) and you can't go wrong :) 
 
       

2 comments: