Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Truth About "Eating For Two"

During pregnancy, one of the most common phrases you'll hear over and over again is "eating for two."  You probably hear this from your parent's generation and most likely your grandparent's too, but that's because this is what they were always told, just like they were also told they couldn't run, jump, or get their heart rate above 120 bpm.  Which is all obviously BS.  So, should you be eating for two?  

Um no, you shouldn't, at least not literally.  Think about it...  Are you giving birth to a full grown adult? No. You're giving birth to a baby that will not weigh more than 10 lbs (most likely).  I like to say I'm eating for one and an eighth.  That being said, being pregnant is not a time to watch your weight, carbs or calories, BUT you shouldn't overdo it either.  The best advice I can give you is to eat every 2-3 hours so you're never worried about your baby lacking or needing nutrients.  I rarely let myself get hungry, because if I do, it makes me think I'm depriving my baby!  I'm sure that's not true, but I'd rather not worry about it or risk it, so I eat every 2-3 hours.  Just keep in mind that you're eating snacks in between meals, not full meals every two hours, that would probably put you in the "60+ lbs Gained Club" during your pregnancy, which is not good for you or the baby (hence why doctors say only 25-35 lbs). 
 
Now let's discuss "cravings."  Being pregnant is not an excuse to go to Dairy Queen everyday or to Burger King in the middle of the night.  If you find yourself wanting to do this, it's not a "pregnancy craving,"  it's just you letting go of your self control because you can use the "craving" excuse.  Pregnancy is a time to feed your body healthy foods like whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy and protein.  It's not a time to feed yourself crap, especially if you think you're eating for two, then that would be two servings of crap - YIKES!  When I'm in the mood for something not so good, I ask myself this question, "What would I feed my future child?" 

Mmmmmmm!
It works pretty well.  Here's an example:  A few days ago I was out running errands.  When it was time for lunch, I knew I had to get fast food since I didn't bring anything with me.  I decided on Chick-Fil-A because I'm a sucker for their spicy chicken sandwich.  But as we know, fast food is not the best thing for us.  This is when my question comes in handy.... "What would I feed my future child?"  So, I ordered just the sandwich, no fries and no soda.  When I got home, I had an apple and some yogurt, which are much better choices than fries and soda.  Go me!   
 

Need some nutrient rich snacking ideas for in between meals?  Here you go!  Notice I try to include fiber in almost all of my snacks (an EXTREMELY important thing for a prego)!
  • fruit and nuts
  • whole grain crackers and cheese
  • yogurt and fruit
  • cottage cheese and veggies or fruit
  • veggies and hummus
  • peanut butter and apple
  • one package oatmeal and fruit
  • pretzels and fruit
  • water, milk or juice
  • hard boiled egg (I usually have two, or I'll have one with fruit or veggies)
  • beans (black, garbanzo, kidney, etc.)
  • a couple pieces of dark or milk chocolate - if you need to indulge a little during the day :) I like to have a small handful of chocolate covered almonds  

Long story short: Don't literally eat for two, don't give into ridiculous cravings, and ask yourself "What would I feed my future child?"  Making good choices will not only give you a healthier baby, but a happier, less stressful pregnancy.  It's a win-win situation! 
 
 

click to visit my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment